Continuity is key to any franchise in every respect – costume design, set design, tone, etc. Yes, Hunger Games has some solid source material at the core for guidance, but individual imagination and vision can still differ vastly from person to person. By keeping Lawrence on board for films two, three and four, we’re almost guaranteeing that every iteration of the franchise will maintain consistency.
Yes, continuity is key to keeping moviegoers immersed in a world throughout the length of a franchise, but hey, mistakes are made and sometimes things have to change. When you’ve got the same director neck deep in the same material for three films in a row, it can be tough to trade the old for something new, even if the old didn’t end up working all that well. And, should that happen, it wouldn’t even be Lawrence’s fault. Filmmaking is a lengthy and intense process and sometimes the key to making a movie work is stepping away for a bit. However, for Lawrence, with three films coming out and each only a year apart, he’ll likely be living, breathing and eating Hunger Games for the next three years straight.
Con: Catching Fire Doesn’t Live Up to Expectations
Gasp! I said it! I really do have faith in Lawrence and have very high hopes he’ll keep the bar high with Catching Fire, but it’s just impossible to guarantee the quality of the film at this point in the game – whether you’re a fan or you’re actually on set working on it. Perhaps they’re shooting some incredible material, but when Lawrence sits down to edit, it just doesn’t cut together well. Yes, the opposite could be the case, too, but, the point is, it can still go either way and should Catching Fire disappoint, it could be detrimental to the morale of the steadfast fan base.
Pro: Catching Fire Lives Up to Expectations
Yes, I just had to end on a positive note. Should Catching Fire blow us all away – and I truly believe it will – it’ll be smooth sailing through Mockingjay –Part 2!
- Vulture Weighs the Pros and Cons of Not Having Gary Ross Direct the Hunger Games Sequel Catching Fire
- Francis Lawrence Will Continue to Direct Mockingjay Part 1 and 2
- It’s Official! Francis Lawrence Will Direct Hunger Games Sequel, Catching Fire
- Jennifer Lawrence on Splitting Mockingjay in Two Parts; On Catching Fire Director Francis Lawrence and Co-Star Sam Claflin
- Director Francis Lawrence Talks about the Death of Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Liam Hemsworth on Francis Lawrence and Catching Fire
- ‘Hunger Games’ Star Josh Hutcherson on Who Should Direct Sequel ‘Catching Fire’
- Full Video Yahoo Global Fan Day Chat with Jennifer Lawrence and Francis Lawrence
- Jennifer Lawrence: Catching Fire Will Be Very Real, Francis Lawrence Will Continue What Gary Ross Has Started
- Jennifer Lawrence Met With Catching Fire Director Francis Lawrence (PHOTOS)